AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ideal harvest moisture for corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 8/31/2015 20:08 (#4763322 - in reply to #4763011)
Subject: RE: ideal harvest moisture for corn

Morris, IL
100% agree Jim, this year dryer is going to get a work out more then others mainly because of 89cent LP, probably start when some is between 25-28% hoping to finish at 20%. Like you say combining 25% early when it's 70 degrees sure beats 20% when it's half that end of November. Another thing is residue really breaks down when you combine at 25% and you give it much more time to break down with some warmer weather which really helps with our strip till COC.

I know your non GMO but DK 62-08 will really shrink up when it dries up, it's my number one to get out early. Relatives were doing 240-250 last year in a field and came back to 220 bushel corn. It's real, but i don't think it happens every year and i don't think it even happens to every hybrid, but nothing good can happen to corn after black layer, wind really being my number one concern.

I will agree with others that i really like combining corn around 22-23% combine seems to really preform well, much over 25% we have hard time grinding but never get docked and stuff we combine early will be leaving early so not too worried about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)