AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which is more important, subsoil, or topsoil?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

2hcattle
Posted 8/16/2015 02:12 (#4735324 - in reply to #4735313)
Subject: RE: Which is more important, subsoil, or topsoil?

Southwest OK
I'm no expert, but spent two days last week probing soils with nrcs. Seemed to me the most important thing was to have an easy transition between top and subsoil for the roots.

The most extreme differences came from two fields, one hadn't been plowed in 12 years, the other has been plowed for about 100 years. We found wheat roots in the notill down to five feet. In the conventional till, 18 inches was it. Both fields have only been wheat for at least the last fifteen years. Was only a county road and two hundred yards separating the sites. Less than a foot of elevation change.

Conventional was moist to 18 inches, then extremely dry. Notill was full wet as deep as we could probe. 10.5'. 35.9 inches of rain at that location this year.

Notill yeilded over 40 bu, conventional yeilded less than twenty. Can't say what the difference in fertility programs has been. County average is 27.

Not my places, but each field would be considered to have one of the best farmers in the county of the two disciplines.

This would be heavy soil for my area, CEC of around 25 in the top soil, heavier sub soil with a lot of free lime at three feet.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)