AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on spray plane incident
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 7/30/2015 22:36 (#4708786)
Subject: update on spray plane incident

west central Iowa
I posted this morning about my wife getting sprayed, http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=570947&mid=470... , by a spray plane here are some more details. The plane was spraying our land that is rented out. My wife was coming out of a catch pen gate about 200 feet north of the edge of the field that was being sprayed and felt the spray hit her she looked up and the spray was already coming out as he was heading back into the field so he had the boom on at least 200 feet early. I know it is probably not easy to have pin point accuracy with a plane, but you ought to able to do better than 200 feet especially next to an obviously occupied building site. He could have had longer rounds and easier turning if he had sprayed parallel instead of perpendicular to our building site, he could have at least made some parallel passes first if he had to spray the way he did. I couldn't figure his pattern, when he made the pass over my wife he was a long ways from his previous pass, that's why she thought she was safe going where she did and could make it back to the shed.
When he sprayed the neighbors field this afternoon he sprayed in the direction I thought he should have used when he sprayed on ours so that made it look to me like he could have sprayed ours the other direction as well.
I did contact the company and talked to who I assume was the boss and the pilot, it kind of surprised me they could talk on their cell phone when they were flying, basically just got an apology and a nervous question as to whether or not I was going to turn them in to the state. It took until the 4th phone call to find out what they were spraying, the pilot had no idea until he talked to the coop. My wife was pretty sure he said it was Quilt. I haven't had a chance to look it up and see how bad it is. I tried to call the coop they are spraying for, but they were gone by 5:05.

We're not just looking for a payday, but can you be sure there won't be health problems down the the line. Somebody mentioned proof and no we didn't take swabs of her skin, but we do have her clothes that were damp to the touch. I do understand that accidents happen but they should be able to come closer than 200+ feet accuracy even with a plane. If they can't do any better than that they better leave some unsprayed next to building sites with people and livestock. I'm not anti spray, but if things like this keep happening its going to make it tough on everybody.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)