AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marking tile outlets for ditch cleaning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

swenzel
Posted 7/31/2015 19:53 (#4710124 - in reply to #4709219)
Subject: RE: Marking tile outlets for ditch cleaning

NW IL
My apologies. I misread your question.

If RTK is available, I would indeed use that to map the tile lines and connections, however I have used WAAS for years to map tile lines and connections with good success. When you come back with a backhoe, if you dig perpendicular to tile line the distance of the boom far exceeds the amount of drift that occurs from WAAS.

Side story: this spring we tried to locate tile in a field that the previous owner never documented. We used google earth and used the "history" feature to track down an image that clearly showed the tile lines via satellite. The image from about 2005 was the best. Via the image we could clearly see a main tile and then 3 small lines teed into it. I then imported the image into SMS and created fake "boundary" that ran along the tiles lines. Next I loaded the boundary into a Ag Leader Versa and drove the field with a Polaris Ranger running a ParaDyme on WAAS. As I drove the Versa over the fake "boundary" I placed flags along the line and connections. Our goal for the project was to add additional lines to the main. The backhoe was able to locate the main without any troubles. Sure the flags may have been off a foot or two (or three) but as the dig was taking place perpendicular to the line it was pretty easy to locate.

Edited by swenzel 7/31/2015 19:56

(tile_image.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tile_image.png (42KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)