AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1200 planter issues + some advise FWIW.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/31/2008 23:38 (#388451 - in reply to #388181)
Subject: CNH 1200 and 1250 and row cleaners - fwiw

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I will add my/our perspective on row cleaners on the Case planters, especially the newer 1250.

On the Case it has always been a challenge to get a row cleaner close enough to the vee opener for tough conditions because of the location of the gage wheel arm pivots in front rather than the rear such as JD, Kinze and White.

In addition it has been a challenge, as Plowboy refers to, to be able to get them high enough for conventional tillage unless you go to a smaller wheel. This is due to various interference issues with the Case parallel linkage. Mark, our new 12.75" Swept-back toothed wheel works much better/comes up higher on the 1200 than the 14" wheel you probably moved from your 900. That 1.25" is very important some times.

Now for the latest Case challenge: the new model 1250 started coming out last spring with a different spring down pressure system which connects a single springe to two lugs welded to a new cross memeber at the FRONT of the lower link. This was a surprise to almost every supplier in the business that I am aware of.

When the CNH 1250 planter row unit moves through its full range of vertical travel on the parallel linkage, these lugs interfere with about every aftermarket row cleaner sold. The only one eveidently that they were concerned about in the design is the pin adjust model sold by Case themselves. Even the Case sold screw adjust models have an interference as I understand from several dealers.

So if you are interested in a CNH 1250 please be aware there is a VERY limited number of unit mounted row cleaners which will fit. The location of the row cleaner - is it back close enough or does it come high enough or is it easily adjustable or does any manufacturers floating unit fit without coming up into contact with the frame, what size wheels are used, etc are questions you may want to consider and discuss with your dealer prior to making your decision.

Do NOT automatically assume that the row cleaner or fertilizer coulter or other planter attachments you had on a previous planter make and model will fit on a 1250 especially.

Since Case is not likely to revise that area any time soon, we have to say that there is NO Dawn unit mount screw adjust nor unit mounted floating row cleaner which will fit the CNH 1250 model planters. We have found it better to sell what works not what just fits.

We have had dealers send us 1250 row units and investigated it in our shop and just do not see any solution for simple, low cost row unit mounted row cleaners that we feel comfortable selling on the 1250. A few were sold last year with a Case row travel limiter that a dealer found through their parts system but we do not feel this is an acceptable solution for all customers since it takes away quite a bit of row unit vertical travel which is especially important on large planters.

I am offering this for general information. The 1250 has interference issues with a number of different manufacturers row cleaner, not just Dawn. And there does not appear to be any "simple" solution that WE can do until Case revises this lug area. And since they are coming with an airbag using that lug this spring it looks like the Case pin adjust row cleaner is the only unit mounted choice that fits. 

Having said that, we are currently checking out the fitup on the 1250 and 1200 models of our new Dawn GFX FRAME mounted floating row cleaner which uses a totally different mounting system and remote control of down pressure, using our 12.75 dia forged wheel with poly depth bands, pulled, not pushed with the Trashwheels back closer to the vee openers and this system does seem to fit the current CNH parallel linkage. However this may be more row cleaner than many folks want especially on a smaller planter.

Summary: IF you are interested in a Case 1200 or 1250 planter and IF you are interested in row cleaning, please be careful the row cleaner you like, from whatever manufacturer, will fitup and clear everything throughout the full range of row unit vertical travel, especially on the 1250.

I'm tired of phone calls that start "I love the way your 4010 row cleaner works, crop looks great, but it ate a groove in the bottom of my mega bucks planter and what are you going to do about it?"

We are currently not going to sell any row cleaners for the 1250 except the GFX until that area of the planter is revised by Case, if they choose to do so. FWIW.

Jim at Dawn 

Please note the 1250 has a very different parallel link/down pressure spring area than Newguy's photos above.

Edited by Jim 5/31/2008 23:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)