AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dropping the land line - Advice needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

rangaf
Posted 2/2/2015 10:09 (#4356991 - in reply to #4356360)
Subject: RE: Dropping the land line - Advice needed

Minneota, MN
I don't mean to be argumentative at all, but here are some counterpoints:

A landline needs power too, it just gets it from the line. The source that provides line power could be interrupted.

Land lines don't rely on cell towers in the middle of nowhere, but they have literally miles of points of failure (the line itself). Backhoes and landlines don't mix well. :)

Your landline phone needs to be authorized by a central computer system too.

If a landline failure exists between you and the 911 service, you also have no 911 service.

When I call verizon, they know my location without my gps radio turned on. Like I mentioned before, I gave up my landline 15+ years ago. I can't tell you how many more landline problems I had compared to cell problems. How many, many times my landline didn't work because of water in the pedestal at the end of my driveway, my line being broke along the road (freeze/thaw cycles), and on and on. In my area, there hasn't been any improvement in the physical phone lines I bet in over 35 years.

You're right Gerald, the need is for backup communications. I have wireless internet, and that's a great communication backup (using a Magic Jack combined with a UPS provides great phone line redundancy).

Times have sure changed!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)