AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dropping the land line - Advice needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/1/2015 09:25 (#4354014 - in reply to #4352997)
Subject: RE: Dropping the land line - Advice needed

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
chevdeere - 1/31/2015 18:31

The way I understood it is you can still make 911 calls from a land line even if you disconnect your service. Double check me with your provider.

If I'm following this, I could cancel my service with the local phone company but leave the phone hooked up. This phone would only be "good" for 911 calls but might still retain the location feature. All regular calls would need to be handled by a cell phone or other type of service.

I believe that is the situation with a cell phone if you discontinue service. A call to 911 still works.

I can't see the local telephone company being very cooperative with this setup but maybe they have no choice. They seem to feel that they "own" us.

As stated above, I'm not overly concerned about the 911 location service or missing a call on the old land line number. I'm thinking I just may drop the land line altogether. People that call me (not very many actually) would need to know or find out my cell number. I would probably just leave the land line phone in its present location where it could be used in case of an emergency but would be dead otherwise.

Edited by tedbear 2/1/2015 09:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)