AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

why use right angle gearboxes for swing auger?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd7520
Posted 12/22/2014 19:43 (#4258368 - in reply to #4256948)
Subject: RE: why use right angle gearboxes for swing auger?

West Central IA
It is as simple and cheap as I could build it. 1.5 x 1.5 square tube about 8 inches long. The switch is mounted inside the tube on one end with a short cord out the back. I just used an extension cord end and a short drop cord to go to the tractor. I pop riveted a piece of plastic on the end of the tube to act as the paddle to activate the switch. It was cut from an empty quart oil bottle. I just clamp the tube to the auger grate in a spot that will get good grain flow with the cord to be under the wagon spout out of the flow of corn. The tractor has a 1 wire alternator so will charge when running. I have a key switch on this tractor so I wired the auto switch plug to be 12 volt all the time and the auto switch on the auger hold the circuit to the coil closed when corn is flowing and when I turn the key to the off position the auto switch is all that keeps the M running. If I was still hooked up to the auger I could have taken a few pics of it, Very simple set up and it works really good. I haul with 3 grain carts and use 2 combines. My wife drives 1 and when I am caught up I drive the other one till all the carts are nearly full. I like the fact that I can leave and get another cart of corn and not spend quality time watching the wagon run empty just to shut the tractor off. I have used this same set for 4 harvests now and would guess that I have saved 50 to 75 hours each fall of auger babysitting. Ideally the switch would be on the output end of the auger in case of trouble, but that would take more ingenuity than I have had time for.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)