AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

well/irrigation machinery. max gpm out of 8" well and drilling cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 11/24/2014 04:55 (#4197727 - in reply to #4196772)
Subject: RE: well/irrigation machinery. max gpm out of 8" well and drilling cost

South Georgia
What's the 200' number, the depth of the well, or the water level, or the pump setting?

If the ground will yield the water, then you should be able to get 500-600 GPM out of an 8" hole. We've got two 8" wells within a half mile of my house that make 500, with (I think) 50 HP submersibles. Well depth somewhere around 500', water depth somewhere around 220, I think. Not sure how deep the pump is set.

If the ground will not yield the water you need out of an 8" hole, I would be surprised if it would yield it from a 12. You can only pumpmit as fast as it can run back into the hole you're pumping out of, and if the rock isn't porous enough to recharge fast enough, spending more money in that hole only helps the well guy.

Before spending big bucks there, consider moving a few hundred feet away and drilling a new 6-8" well. Gang the two together if need be.

This is all information and ideas that I think are relevant to this area, based on our experience with irrigation wells. Do some research to see if it translates to your area, but talk to somebody besides your well guy. More opinions can yield better information and better information can yield better decisions.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)