AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Police called me today. I'm stunned.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/22/2014 16:24 (#4194458 - in reply to #4192648)
Subject: RE: Update

There is no doubt that the hard drive was cloned, but I doubt the computer repair shop was involved, they would have cloned a more recent operating system. It was much more likely cloned by a person who intended to use it for some not quite legal purpose, but he must have worked at the repair store at some stage to get access to the hard drive.

TOR (The Onion Router") is indeed a program that allows to completely hide your identity and what sites you are visiting. By default, even with encrypted https secure protocol, the header of each bit of information ("IP packet") is not encrypted, so the IP address of the source computer and the IP address of the target web site are readable to all. Tor encrypts even the header of the IP packets and relies on a network of participant computers also running the same software to transfer the information and to decrypt these IP addresses.

Unfortunately, it is relatively easy to bypass Tor privacy. You just need to place Tor computers near the most frequented sites or near suspicious sites, and sooner or later, your computer will be used as the terminal Tor node to access that site. The flaw with Tor is that this terminal node needs to be able to decrypt the IP addresses in the header in order to route the traffic correctly between the source computer and the target web site. It has been reported already that some 3-letter government agencies have already positioned several Tor computers in order either to check which web sites a suspect is visiting, or who visits a suspicious web site.

Originally, Tor was created to allow people to visit web sites or email other people without being identified by repressing governments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_%28anonymity_network%29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)