AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Watchout, that season has started, well not sure it ever ends.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 10/1/2014 12:52 (#4103151 - in reply to #4102501)
Subject: RE: Watchout, that season has started, well not sure it ever ends.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I'm surprised the term 'citidiot' hasn't been used yet in this thread...

While we may all know that farm machinery 'should' have the right of way, in most of the country there are way more people who are NOT farmers than there are farmers. They vote too. So keep that in mind before you want to dig your heels in and say they should have to go around you. Otherwise, if we are not all courteous and respectful of everyone's right to use the road, they may decide to vote in some legislation that means you don't have the right to drag a 30' wide bulker down the road, or move combines wherever with the heads on. Or even run duals down the road. Look at Europe. You don't see many 120" bar axles or guys running spiders on tractors down the road there.

I say this, living in what is undoubtedly one of the more rural areas represented on this website. 99% of you live in more urban areas than this valley. Outside of truck traffic during harvest, there is little to no traffic on most of our roads. Sure it is busy right now, this morning two different potato operations were sending trucks down a usually desolate two lane road, I'd guess there was a truck spaced about every 1/4 mile, I could see probably 20-25 trucks at the four way stop sign I was at. But usually, a couple cars an hour is it for traffic. But even then, I realize we are outvoted. You can be there first, but that doesn't mean your always right.

Those people your sharing (or not sharing) the road with are two very important things- Your customers, and voters. Farmers are outvoted in nearly every state, county and precinct in the country. Lets make a good impression so they don't decide to vote us off of the roads and buy food from Chile.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)