AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looked at some different beef sheds today, now I don't know what to do
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 9/2/2014 07:33 (#4051457 - in reply to #4050426)
Subject: RE: Looked at some different beef sheds today, now I don't know what to do

NW IA
I am also looking at options.

I would be very skeptical of a barn wide enough to feed two groups down the middle. Remember that the stocking density of a free stall and a beef barn are dramatically different. If Dave9110 has 4 foot wide stalls and 42 feet left per side after the ally is taken out, that would allow 84 sqare feet per head without cow allys, 100 with just the feed ally. Free stalls are also scraped twice a day and ideally (my opinion) bedded wih sand, no "heating". An 80 or 100 foot barn would have severe air quality issues, free stalls also have fans.

In my attempts to decide what to do I was even cautioned against a monoslope, in the opinion of the feed people I talked to they are too wide, leading to air quality problems and manure pack heating contributing to humidity. "Garvo" style buildings were reccomended. That said I know folks who love their mono's.
However, even though I feed Holstiens the cattle that spend the most time outside eating and drinking are the ones that take less bedding, time, and effort. I am leaning toward a shed for shade and severe winter weather with the critters eating outside. My current practice of using self feeders (Smidley Stuffers) eliminates some issues with feed and weather. But, that is not NAT approved and I may fire up my feeder wagon yet!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)