AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Now I'm a "on-line" back-up person too...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 4/10/2014 19:23 (#3808363)
Subject: Now I'm a "on-line" back-up person too...

Chebanse, IL.....

About a month ago I asked about backing up to one of the on-line back up services.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=462342&posts=12#M3765246

Chimel suggested a couple of sites  & I investigated. Backblaze interested me:

http://www.backblaze.com/?gclid=CMqBt8iT170CFa9cMgodS20Akg

Their service seems flexible & doesn't limit you to file size our storage size. So, I went for the "15 day free trial" deal. Worked great except I had a little over 1gb of data to back up which indicated it would take over 20 days to upload. It did. Their software tells you how long to go before all your chosen data is backed up. But anyway, after 20+ days, my all uploaded. It uploaded using minimal bandwidth of mine, so I couldn't even see any downturn in my internet speed. You can adjust the download rate manually if you want, but I left it at "auto". Also, the backup will be continuous from here on. If I do nothing on the computer, nothing more is backed up. If I download 10 jpg photos from my camera, then Backblaze will automatically detect & upload those same 10 photos to my backup file.

So far I'm happy with the way it's working. Looks like it'll be a little under $60/yr for unlimited data storage. I'm also still backing up to an external HD using "Click Free" backup program. So, I should be pretty well covered. I also fully realize that the Backblaze folks may some day tire of being in business & hang it up for whatever reason. Hopefully not, but I've had it happen in the past. In the meantime, I consider them providing a service to me @ $5/mo.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)