AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Now I'm a "on-line" back-up person too...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Don Smith
Posted 4/11/2014 08:09 (#3809355 - in reply to #3809115)
Subject: RE: Now I'm a "on-line" back-up person too...

Centre county Pennsylvania, USA
Ron,

We agree on the 'don't trust people' thing. I try to avoid the need to trust people, if at all possible.

You have experienced nearly every failure that can happen to personal data storage, except one. Nothing you put on the internet is secure, absolutely nothing. Security "Experts" are dead wrong when they assure you that your internet stuff is safe from hackers and criminals. History of internet hacks is proof of that. I think some of those "experts" may believe their claim, but suspect that others use that claim so they have a market for their security safeguard products and services (that hackers can, and will, defeat).

A Network Accessible Storage (NAS) system is a data storage system that provides data storage for other computers that are available on that network. If that network is your own personal local network, sometimes called a home Local Area Network (LAN), that is not available to the internet, then that stored data is safe from Internet thieves and scoundrels.

Most NAS systems are running multiple discs with high level raid that automatically restores any data lost when any of the NAS disc drives fail. Just remove failed disk drive and insert a new empty disk drive and the NAS will automatically rebuild that disk drive with ALL of the data that was on the failed disk drive.

NAS systems are NOT protected from any incident that destroys the NAS inself (like a house fire). NAS system backup is required to protect your personal data from that kind of failure. Don't need to use any internet data backup service to do that, simply install a 2nd NAS in a different building (preferably a semi-underground "bunker") and use that as your personal NAS backup. I've often wondered if "Underground NAS" (UNAS) was a viable market product/service worthy of a new business venture?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)