AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

T-L PIVOT PROBLEMS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

showboat
Posted 12/6/2007 14:56 (#253954 - in reply to #253847)
Subject: RE: T-L PIVOT PROBLEMS

My Dad used to say that "Everything works well when it is NEW!"... so I suppose that all the brands of sprinklers work pretty well when they are new....

I run both Valleys and Zimmys, and sort of "inherited" one old T & L when my cousin quit farming....it came with the deal. It was old and used when he got it, and it has NOT improved with time.

As the machines age, the wheel hydraulic motors gradually begin to "chatter" as oil leaks internally.... this sets up a vibration in the towers, and soon the steel oil lines are vibrating, and rubbing holes in themselves.... The machine that I have is probably 25 years old, though, so there is LOTS to repair...mostly oil leaks. I replace a couple of wheel drive motors each year, and frequently need to replace or splice oil lines. If there is ANY moisture in the oil lines, it might well cause a line to burst over the winter, and one might have ALL the oil leak out in the field....costs a bunch to go buy 60 gal of hydraulic oil in the spring to get the silly thing to pressure up.

I keep thinking that I am competent enough to fix a hydraulic problem, and do not need to call the repairman....so I am often out in the cornfield sitting in the mud, sweating bullets, with hydraulic oil running down my arms fixing a leak........Makes the concept of calling an electrical repairman a bit more inviting....

This one was probably all right when new, but there ain't no "pride of ownership" anymore. As soon as I win the lottery, this one will be gone. Showboat

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)