AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

T-L PIVOT PROBLEMS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mr. Snerdly1
Posted 12/6/2007 14:32 (#253935 - in reply to #253847)
Subject: RE: T-L PIVOT PROBLEMS

In my operation, there are no downfalls.  It is true they do take slightly more energy to run than an electric, but there is not much difference if you are using a diesel engine for pumping and powering the pivot, like I am. 

I have also heard about them coasting with the planetary drive, but I have worm gearboxes, so I have no problem with them.  I think the gearboxes last longer on them than an electric and also they have no troublesome joints between the electric motor and gearbox to constantly be replacing. 

I disagree that they get stuck easier than an electric, I think it may be the opposite but I can't say for sure.  They both get stuck.  As far as the rubber hose coming off between towers, this makes no sense.  I have had no more trouble on the T&L than the electric pivots.  Also I have not noticed the pivot slowing down as it gets older, and I know this for a fact since nearly every year I have to calibrate the speed of the pivot over a certain time to apply fertilizer, and I have noticed no difference from when I started in the first year. 

They are far and away the least troublesome pivot on the market.  I have never had a serviceman out on one, and it is rare that I ever do anything to them.  Another huge benefit, at least it has been for me, is I am no longer troubled by lightning damage.  Almost every year I have some component destroyed by lightning on the electrics, and sometimes it is very expensive.   

I think you would have to be crazy to buy an electric pivot.

I think I should say my experience is with 1/4 mile pivots and I don't know if there would be something about them that would be more troublesome on the longer systems.  Maybe there is, but for me I would have nothing else.

Edited by Mr. Snerdly1 12/6/2007 14:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)