AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renting poor ground in many small fields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben (MI)
Posted 1/4/2013 07:02 (#2797580 - in reply to #2797078)
Subject: Re: Renting poor ground in many small fields

SW Lower Michigan
Firstgen,
Ed has great advice, I’ll share my thoughts as well. I farm 130 acres in 9 fields with 6 landlords and own none. While I don’t deal with flooding, 80% of my ground is just of average productivity and is quite sandy. My best ever overall corn yield was 160 bu. /acre and beans made 50 bu. /acre. My average yields are corn 110 bu. /acre and beans 40 bu. /acre. You mention your proposed ground is surrounded by trees. I look at this as a benefit, especially when I watch the 1000’s of acres nearby blowing in the spring where most of the fence rows have been removed. I started with nothing except a few dollars in old equipment on 50 rented acres. My advice would be to ask the owner if he would consider farming on shares. I still have one land lord that I farm 70/30 with and he averages over $100 an acre. I pay all inputs except lime. My other rents vary but I don't pay more than I think I can pay in a year like last years drought. Most years I make enough to pay my bills and update a piece of equipment occasionally but I’m not in it to support my family as I work full time. I switched to 100% no till about 5 years ago and have not looked back.

As far as seeding rates, fertilizer, etc. think about what works on the big farm you partner on. I rely heavily on my local fertilizer/chemical dealer as far as recommendations and they handle my chemical application. Not owning a sprayer is a no brainer for me on my small acreage. Also, I am currently paying $190 a unit for corn and $40 a unit for beans with a new to me seed company and have not noticed a difference in yields over the pricier stuff I was buying before. Success, in my opinion, for your operation will come down to cost control, careful selection of inputs, and good relationships with landlords and suppliers. Good luck-I hope it works out for you.

Edited by Ben (MI) 1/4/2013 07:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)