AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renting poor ground in many small fields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 1/4/2013 06:38 (#2797546 - in reply to #2797078)
Subject: Re: Renting poor ground in many small fields

Martinsville, Ohio
I could write a book on this subject. I did my first one in 1963 and have a new one for 2013.

What worked for me is a good soil test, I use Midwest Labs and get their recommendations. Develop a budget for the years you hope to farm this ground and alot so much to lime and fertilzer.

Get some calcium on every field even if it's only pellet lime in your broadcast. Poor ground responds to broadcast but it would be more efficient to band it all. I am not equipped to do that.

Corn might be 100 AMS, 100 pellet lime, 100 map or dap, 100 potash and a pound of each micro for example. If it's under 6 pH more lime is needed and the budget might lean more that direction for a ton or two of lime.

I tissue test every field at flower to see how it worked and this is really helpful if you are going to farm it next year, otherwise it's just a grade card.

Main thing is develop a budget, stick to it and take a shot at what it needs with a good soil test. Otherwise you are shooting blanks in the dark.

Seeding rate is simple compared to this, 28-32k on corn around here and 140-180k on beans.

Best wishes on your venture.

Ed Winkle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)