AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

briggs and frustration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 12/21/2012 06:25 (#2765428 - in reply to #2764445)
Subject: RE: briggs and frustration

South Georgia
I don't know why everybody seems to have such horrible luck with Briggs engines. When I was a kid, we used Briggs engines on nurse tanks that weren't even hardly scrap metal anymore. We had one 3.5 horsepower engine that a guy had pulled to a field with a tractor, and torn the air cleaner off with the lift arm when turning. I'll bet we used that little motor another ten years without even an air cleaner. I'm not recommending that, but we did. After it was getting old, the choke wasn't quite enough to get it started, but covering the intake with your finger while pulling would do it.

The best thing we do to ours is ALWAYS cover them when done. Always. We have buckets cut to fit over them, and it's difficult sometimes to get folks to cover them because everybody thinks, "The muffler's hot, I'll wait until it's cool so I don't melt the plastic bucket." Melt the dang bucket, but cover the motor IMMEDIATELY, or it'll be forgotten.

I just replaced a Briggs/Pacer pump on our primary nurse tank that had to be ten years old, not because the motor was a problem, but because I thought the pump was worn out. The engine had always started on the first or sometimes second pull. I was about to replace the muffler when I decided that the pump was worn out. I ordered a 6.5 HP knockoff Honda to replace it (because it was rated for more GPM and less money), and when I got the new one and pulled the old one off, I saw that the old one had a plastic ring off the top of a chemical jug in the impeller. Oh well... now I have a spare. That one has pumped a world of bulk chemicals, agitated tons of urea into slurry to pump onto the sprayer, mixed tons of abrasive wettable powder. Briggs motors aren't glamorous, but I don't know why people have such poor luck with them.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)