AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone used BST's before?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/5/2012 02:57 (#2733680 - in reply to #2733604)
Subject: Re: Has anyone used BST's before?

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
Pat, I've never used BST, first and foremost my milk processor didn't want it, we signed an affidavit that we wouldn't use it. When BST first came out they didn't want the milk then over time they said ok. But that soon changed , they got a big customer that wouldn't buy BST cheese. So that's why we haven't ever used it. Yes, I do get a premium for not using it.

I won't argue the point about if it is safe or not. It is a tool that works, management needs to be stepped up. But the bottom line is if the consumer doesn't want it, then don't jam it down their throats!

I get premiums for marketing my beef calves a certain way, so the same for my milk as well. The customer is always right, it is their dollars they are spending. If they want polk a dotted green calves then, we better fiqure a way to raise polk a dotted green calves.

Quite a few years ago the average number of lactation's for Holsteins was 1.9 and Jerseys were 2.1 in their lifetime, I'm thinking that's when BST was most popular. It got to the point there for a while, the big dairies out west didn't even bother getting cows bred. They just bought more, but I think those times have changed.

This is just my opinion, and it's not worth much.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)