AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ultimate L3 rebuild
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Trent2520
Posted 12/4/2012 21:29 (#2733314 - in reply to #2732352)
Subject: RE: ultimate L3 rebuild

Statesville, NC
I've done a few things to the L3 I bought this spring, and plan to do more.

First, I installed Trimpe cylinder bars, hard faced on the outer surface AND down the leading edge. They normally don't go down the leading edge, but this way they will not undercut and last a very long time.

Second, I installed heavy duty bosch relays near the header and separator clutches, run 10 gauge wire from the main circuit breaker at the engine to the relays. This will greatly reduce the load on the cab wiring and switches. This way the switches and cab wiring will only carry the load of switching the relay. Electrical system will be more efficient, less heating of wire, longer clutch life, longer switch life, etc..

Another thing I did, was remove the straw chopper and install a straw spreader. Some may consider that a step backward, but it works very well for me. Choppers seem to cause a lot of damage to other parts of something goes wrong, and they take a lot of power and fuel.

I plan to do a rebuild on the 318 flex head. I am going to remove all the old feather sheets and mounting bars front and rear, and have raised feather sheets fabricated like the newer heads. I'm also going to grind the auger flighting square on the edge where it is worn and rounded. It already has a SCH cutterbar and it needs an overhaul. I also need to check the floating linkage, and linkage to the height sensors. I'm thinking of trying some of the paddle type reel tines too.

I would also like to add a reverser, either electric starter type or hydraulic, for the feeder beater and head. However, I hope I don't need it as much with the header mods and repairs.

Edited by Trent2520 12/4/2012 21:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)