AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

let's talk grain carts for first timer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mav
Posted 11/26/2012 13:52 (#2718225 - in reply to #2718057)
Subject: RE: let's talk grain carts for first timer

Thoughts:

First off don’t get the opinion that you do not need a big cart. We are a medium size operation and I could not imagine getting by with a smaller cart.

Second, a combine running through the field with a full hopper is not exactly floating across the surface. So the weight argument is kind of a moot point.

A Brent 882 is simply a 1082 with shorter sides at the top. So you are not going to see any advantages other than having a shorter cart.

With a cart, you really do not need to have a truck/wagon sitting at the end of the field without a driver in it.

Things I like about our grain cart:

I like being able to fill a truck/wagon, or whatever it is that transports grain between the field and storage, in one dump.

I like being able to catch another full combine hopper while unloading on the go when I do not quite have enough grain to fill the truck/wagon to send it on its way.

I like being able to hold one round of grain in good crops.

I like a high unloading rate.

I like having scales on the cart.

I like for the combine to be able to make it to the other end of the field without having to unload. That way, you can always catch coming back to the truck/wagon.

Questions I would ask you:

What is your harvesting rate?

How is your drying capacity?

What is the rate in which you can transport grain away from the field and to your storage location? That depends on how much time it takes for the first truck/wagon to leave the field and make it back. It also depends on how many people are hauling.

Any upgrades in the future?

Mav

Edited by Mav 11/26/2012 13:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)