AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

let's talk grain carts for first timer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 11/26/2012 11:54 (#2718057)
Subject: let's talk grain carts for first timer

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings,

I am dancing around ideas for future harvest. Up to now, I have not had a cart in the operation. We currently don't use semi's due to proximity to bins and scales/elevators. Hauling is done with 600-700 bu wagons which we can keep running as singles, pairs, or singles with smaller 300 bu pups for 1000 bu. We can make 4- 1000 bu wagon/pups or 2- 1400 bu pairs using the big wagons only.

Combine running 8-30's in mostly 1/2 mile rows with 200+ APH. Clearly, it isn't that efficient but have been making things work. With future higher yields, I know things have to change. Like most, labor supply is an issue. Dad currently doing great, wife would like to help more but we are all getting older.

Magnum 215 and MX 210 CIH MFD tractors both with heavy drawbar options would be the power source. Due to no-till, I don't need high power tractors.

Ground is mostly no-till (some custom harvest work has tillage history) and gently rolling with decent drainage.

It is clear in reading the posts that guys like big carts that will fill semi's in one pass. I am not to that need/size. It appears that there are some decent trade-ins of carts "too small" for the 12 row combine/semi guys.

First question: What would you NOT want to do in putting a cart into the harvest system?

Second question: What WOULD you look first at in thinking about a cart for medium sized farming operation.

Maybe I should get some more wagons and just have the combine chased with them partially full, topping on the ends?

I am a "Brent guy" with wagons but wonder about other brands for comparison. The Brent 882 is a nice looking outfit. What about others?

TIA

Tom

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)