AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to look for buying a good quality dutch oven?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/21/2012 12:52 (#2709336 - in reply to #2708713)
Subject: Re: What to look for buying a good quality dutch oven?

I know what the old Dutch ovens used to be, and there's still some suspended over the chimney fire in the countryside farms, but the meaning of the word has evolved. The lid that was used for coals or cinders is now used for water to reinforce the "oven" effect, although most modern Dutch ovens have just a plain lid with no room to add water.

And you're probably right that the evolution comes from French cuisine: The modern enameled Dutch oven is indeed not as non-stick as seasoned cast iron, so it works best with stews and other dishes in sauce, so it's not as versatile, but I have non-enameled cast iron flat grills when I want to grill a steak without any fat.

By the way, the "seasoning" does not consist in sanding the pot, but greasing it and burning it into the over before use. It's the fat that with time converts into this non-stick varnish that makes cast iron great. It works the same on plain iron or carbon iron, my grand mother never used any non-stick frying pan, just plain iron pans that come grey when new, and turn black and non-stick after years. These pans never saw one drop of water or soap, they were dried with newspaper after cooking, and lightly greased to prepare for the next meal. I never heard about sanding cast iron before, I thought the rough surface (that comes from the sand mold) was actually something you'd want in a cast-iron pan for some reason, otherwise I assume they would have used reusable metallic molds for a smooth finish a long time ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)