AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim from DAWN and his input costs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/30/2012 10:40 (#2668686 - in reply to #2668130)
Subject: Mr Drogo or whatever your name is...

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I thank the others above for their replies and support.

Mr Drogo, your profile shows you joined NAT in June 2012. If that is accurate, you have missed posts I have done over the years which would explain in more detail the answers to many of your questions. My gut feel is to not reply to a post like yours. However in the interests of conducting open and polite discussion, and the hope you will start doing the same, here is the short version:

What is your input cost per acre on your graze corn and what is your opportunity dollar if you didn't graze that corn and took it to harvest?

My input cost/a on my corn is low. My purchased inputsfor corn are usually just seed and 30 gal/a of 28%. P & K seem to be ok the past few years by soil tests. Seed is my major expense as I have been planting a RR triple stack to get paletability and something that will stand through the winter. I spring strip till with 6 old Pluribus prototype strip till units and some years side dress part of my 28% with 3 prototype 6000 units every other row. I spray glypho once when the corn is up with my 30 ft mounted sprayer.  My only tractor is a 95 hp Ford/NH 7610 and like most of us, I work pretty cheap on an hourly basis. I have a 10 ft drag and a used 10ft Aerway I am experimenting with in the corn and on pastures.

As far as grazing vs harvest of my corn, I don't own a combine, cart, grain truck, bins or dryer. I used to hire a neighbor to custom combine it then I grazed the stalks. I am notorious for very late planting my own corn as during the time I should be planting in the spring I am often on other folks farms in the Dakotas or elsewhere. The result being my corn is often well over 30% moisture when my neighbor needed to harvest it.  If it was lower 20s he would blend it with his but at 30% it needed drying.  By the time I paid combining, hauling, drying at the elevator (.10/point if they would even take it) at prices a few years ago, I almost had to write them a check!

Also what do you spend per year per acre interseeding clover? 

Almost nothing. I only interseed once every two or three years if I have a pasture which needs it. I rent a drill. When I do interseed it is a blend of pasture mix + a persistent red clover.

If I could ask another question what is hay selling for in your area how much do you put up on your own ground, and how much do you buy annually on a normal year?

I buy all of my hay. Prices are available at various hay auction websites. I currently have 25 head and usually feed hay Nov 1 to May 1.  I am grazing every last square inch this fall to try to minimize hay fed. You can figure it out. Grazing corn greatly reduces my hay requirements. I buy my hay from the same local supplier every year at less than max market rates. He knows he has a market. It works out.

Do you know why most herford bulls are sold as two's and why most straight hereford steers are sold on the yearling market instead of as feeders? 

I am not going to get into the bovine version of an equipment color war. Each breed has it advantages and disadvantages. In my system of grazing hillsides and outwintering in the woods in a WI winter Herefords seem to do well. My long time cattleman neighbor got me started with Herefords that have worked for him. After I get to a herd of 30 Hereford cows I may try crossbreeding for a year or two and see what the data looks like. I sell mine as freezer beef and don't have to be concerned about the dock at the sale barn because they are not black. I purchase a registered Hereford yearling bull every couple years from a nearby Hereford breeder.

Could you give me one study that shows how my implanted beef steers are a health hazard over yours?

No I can't. I raise mine without implants because that is what my market wants and is willing to pay a premium for.

I believe these are legit questions to ask our global beef ambassador.

I don't know if you stepped on a tack or had a bad day or this is just your regular self but your tone is very impolite and uncalled for. I think NAT works best when we think of it as and speak to each other as we would in a coffee shop in town.  I doubt you would speak like this to any of your neighbors at the local coffee shop.  As I have said before, I did not pretend to speak for you nor all American cattlemen. I specifically spoke for my own operation only. It was the only thing I could say with authority in rebutal to a professor with a lot of numbers. I felt someone needed to offer an alternative view to his thesis "we will all be vegetarians in the future"

Kal I hope this answers your questions. I suspect you will find reason to argue with my reply. Some folks just can't stand to see anything done differently than they are doing it.  However this board is better the more diverse opinions and experiences are posted.  Please use a more respectful tone in the future.

Regards,

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/30/2012 11:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)