AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alzheimers -- Aricept
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Suey
Posted 10/23/2009 15:54 (#896646 - in reply to #893368)
Subject: RE: Alzheimers -- Aricept

WCIL
I have found this thread to be very interesting. Since several of you have been through this I'm looking for some insight on my MIL. 82 years old. Still lives on the farm with husband and next door to us. Alzheimers/ dementia run in her family. As near as I know they have never gone to get a definite diagnosis. She has lots of underlying health problems. BP, Cholesterol, heart, extreme pain in back and knees, ulcer,diverticulitis. She tried Aricept when it first came out and couldn't handle it. My husband will tell you she has been a little "fruity" ever since menopause.

This past year we keep seeing more problems. She gave up the farm checkbook only a year and a half ago. This January gave up keeping track of her records for tax purposes due to the frustrations, so I'm doing that on the computer. Now, we are seeing problems with her cooking. She was always a good cook but now some of her cooking is a little off. She doesn't like to cook anymore too. They eat a lite breakfast, a lunch around 1:00 and then nothing but a snack rest of the day. The woman needs to EAT! There are usually 20+ bottles of Ensure in the Refrigerator. I think she can't decide what to fix for dinner so she just doesn't. FIL now plans a menu and helps her cook it. I've taken to bringing 3 salads and one meat dish per week. Since I'm doing the books I know they are not spending enough on groceries. She has always repeated herself but, now this is getting worse too. Instead of repeating her self every half hour she can now do it in 3 minutes. She is easily frustrated and easily comfused. Other times seems fine.

My question is: How close are we to unable to function? I've heard that a fever can really send a dementia/alzhmeir's patient over the edge. The entire family is suppose to be here for Thanksgiving and I live in fear of one of the relatives bringing a bad case of flu with them. Since rest of the family is 4-12 hours away we will be the ones to deal with it. FIL will not be able to function independently. Oh, and $$$ is not a problem. What can any of you suggest to look for be prepared for? Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)