AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those who have remodeled or added additions to old farmhouses.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

swne
Posted 2/6/2019 08:06 (#7300595 - in reply to #7300558)
Subject: RE: Question for those who have remodeled or added additions to old farmhouses.

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
We did something similar over 20 years ago. Our house was originally a 30' x 30' then was added on in the 60's with a basement, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and a single stall garage. I may have been better off to just start over but couldn't bring myself to tear down the addition so we tore down the original 30' x 30' and kept the addition and basically built a new house on. The challenge is to get the floors to match up and in our case the roofline. Turned out fine but it did take some extra time and planning. Those measurements have to be right on. You don't want to be an inch or so off with matching up a floor or roof. And that starts with the foundation.
As far as dimensions for the additions, we looked at a lot of houses to literally see what looked good to us and went from there. Kind of hard to say you want this size or that size and visualize what that will actually look like.
I would definitely take the additions off what you have and build on exactly what you want.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)