AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beans and corn in the crapper-going to alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Toepincher
Posted 8/27/2018 07:44 (#6953053 - in reply to #6952872)
Subject: RE: beans and corn in the crapper-going to alfalfa

North Dakota
I've done this same thing over the years. What seems to happen to me is I plant alfalfa when grain prices get low and there's no profit in grain. It always seems I should have planted it a year or 2 earlier than I did so it was well established when grain got low. And about the time a stand gets well established grain prices start to rebound and then it's hard to tear up that really nice alfalfa stand. Also we take a yield hit for about 2 years after taking alfalfa out and try to bring that ground back to grain production so I have less grain and good prices. Also as stated above alfalfa has become a expensive and high management crop with aphids to scout for and spray and fertilizer costs. Now I keep a % of my acres in alfalfa and rotate fields that usually are poor drained or have weed issues that need cleaned up. And just plant annual forage crops like oats and peas. I raised the peas a few years ago and oats every few years, clean my own for seed. I figured I have about $10/ac seed cost, no fertilizer, do a preplant burn down and have had pretty fair yields. Now silage corn has higher yields but costs much more to put in, also I am able to plant a fall grazing cover crop behind the oats and peas and get a second crop to utilize. Just what has evolved here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)