AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

concrete lags coming loose
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sodbustr
Posted 8/22/2018 12:28 (#6943651 - in reply to #6943617)
Subject: RE: concrete lags coming loose

Western Iowa
Just a couple thoughts...

Were they hand tightened or did a cordless impact get used? I have been surprised how many helpers I have had want to tighten those up with an impact gun, not realizing that is a no-no. They never hold if you do that.

A lot of helpers also don't tighten them down enough when doing it by hand. If the hole is the correct size and you are using a good quality anchor bolt, you should be able to tighten them down hard. Bolt should break before the bolt would ever pull out.

The one in your picture has a nylon lock nut on it. I have never used those in that application and not really sure you should. I wonder if it makes it harder to tighten down? Maybe it makes no difference? IDK

Only other time I have had those red head type bolts fail in a gate situation is if the gate can swing around far enough to hit the concrete wall the hinges are bolted down to. The amount of leverage a gate has is incredible 3-4 inches from the mount when the gate is 12-16ft long. 3/8 bolts don't cut it, need to do at least 1/2 if not 5/8.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)