AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor Kids Want Jobs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruised Spud
Posted 5/14/2018 20:55 (#6760672 - in reply to #6759932)
Subject: RE: Neighbor Kids Want Jobs

Chaffee, Western New York
Grandfather had a saying. "One boy works like one boy, two boys work like half a boy, and three work like no boy at all."

I've had good luck with a series of boys that I would like to take some credit for what fine men they have turned into. I usually talk to parents after a kid shows up, even if small town life has you believing that you know the folks. They can't work early if they are up late. If dad doesn't get home from a city job until 10pm, adjust your times for Jr. accordingly.

The last kid had zero skills. I explained I'd pay him for work although by law I have to pay him to for training. We'd work out "learning time" vs "work time" at the end of the day. He really wanted to know how to do things and after being encouraged to ask questions he often did , and I had him take notes and do "homework", books of mine and internet. He saved all his money and bought a set of tools.

For me it was training for training my own kids. We don't have livestock and that makes 'chores' more complicated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)