AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opened cover crop for grazing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/12/2017 08:46 (#6303203 - in reply to #6303178)
Subject: RE: Opened cover crop for grazing - follow up

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Douglas - 10/12/2017 08:30

Jim, very interested to see your take on the calves weight gain on the turnips & radishes. Most research i have seen shows little gain for stockers on brassica, they don't know why but suspect their system is not ready for that high level of water content. Not sure if yours are weaned yet but if they are it would be very interesting to track their weight gain.

Last time I had cows on turnips they put on a lot of condition. It appears they will do the same this time from the looks of them after a couple days.  I do keep track of calf weights. The calves don't seem particularly interested in the turnips but are foraging for the winter rye mixed in with the turnips and radishes. 

I am a long way from weaning and am hoping that the increase in cow condition from the turnips translates into calf growth through the cows' milk.   I will pull my bulls and retained bull calf shortly, heifers get a lute shot in a couple weeks but I won't wean for some time. Basically I leave them on the cow as long as the cows will still nurse them.

Cow condition is not generally an issue even they get no corn or silage. Fenceline weaning will probably be around Christmas depending on the weather. I do like to get the calves off of the cows before we get to sub-zero (F) weather.

Edited by Jim 10/12/2017 08:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)