AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So we haven't had a good ol' organic vs non organic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kenabcd
Posted 2/26/2017 17:46 (#5864996 - in reply to #5853388)
Subject: The greatest thing to happen to farming is organic

Cokato MN
I love that so many are not jumping on the bandwagon of switching to organic or non GMO!

I am able to rent my land for about 1.5 to 2X the local going rate since it became certified. The farmer I rent to had a fair year with 40± bushel beans, sold them for about 18.50. That makes the $250.00 per acre rent he pays me OK.

Will he be back next year? Yes he will!

He has enough invested in soil health to understand that even if his BPA is less than the local BTO, he will profit.

Thank You organic buyers for making my rent check bigger. We all know that GMO may make you less vital or grow a horn in your forehead, read the internet, Monsanto kills, it may cripple your children or give them an attention deficit!

He had fewer inputs than many, no round up or spray, although he did cultivate and he uses a weed burner for corn years.

He hauled less off the field, handled less and made more $$. Isn't it how you should to strive to farm? Paying less for inputs and making more$$?

The turkey litter he uses does stink, but it fits the rules. I doubt the turkey crap was organic, but rule$ are rule$.

The weeds looked like heck the first several years as the rent ratcheted up and he got better, last year, it would have been hard to tell the difference between conventional and organic.

If too many farmers gave up the spray and other input$, he would not be able to sell beans for so much. He may be less willing to pay a premium to rent organic certified land.

Do not switch, keep trying to get to 250 BPA corn, even if you give it away!

Let's Assume that there is really no benefit to organic or non GMO in health (other than a few genetic outliers) and it is fine for the vast majority, why not sell less for more.

If everyone wants a red truck and pays a bounty for a red truck, why do you make blue trucks?

Don't take this post the wrong way, I do not want any more organic non-GMO farmers out there, it would make it harder for me to get my rent. I grew up farming, I know farming and if too many jumped on the organic, non GMO bandwagon it would ruin it for those that do it.

There is so much sarcasm in this post, I hope you get it without flaming.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)