AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The worlds a changing {especially in our schools}
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 12/19/2016 11:05 (#5709134 - in reply to #5707973)
Subject: RE: The worlds a changing {especially in our schools}

E. Kansas
Some people who know how to write in cursive still print, since they prefer to use it. It's their choice. However, I think all kids should learn how to write in cursive and be able to read it. The inability to read cursive only limits you in understanding a form of communication. It is of no benefit to be unable to read cursive. It's not that difficult to learn and doesn't take that much time. I think the discontinuation of teaching cursive writing is just another aspect of the dumbing down of America.

I use a combination of both cursive and printing. It's my own blend of the two that I found to be the easiest and fastest for me to do and the most readable. Ironically, most people have no problem reading my writing and some even compliment me on it (they must have been feeling especially nice).

After years of taking notes in school and at work during all kinds meetings held in rooms with meeting tables, or stand up meetings, or factories, outdoors, or when on the phone, etc., I can't imagine being limited to only being able to print and unable to read cursive, or to only be able to type everything. I can type fast too and quite accurately, and will do it instead of writing by hand if I can, but that isn't always an option in lots of real life situations and for lots of topics you're recording. If any type of sketches, equations, etc are part of what you're recording, you need to be able to write legibly and usually quickly.

Just because a kid learns how to write cursive and knows how to read it certainly doesn't mean he can't learn how to use all the currently available tech gadgets.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)