AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Letter: Do farmers ‘expect taxpayer’ compensation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

daddycal
Posted 12/18/2016 11:44 (#5706515 - in reply to #5706214)
Subject: RE: Letter: Do farmers ‘expect taxpayer’ compensation?

Montana
I think that other countries ,without the restrictions and regulations, are going to be able to produce wheat and beef so much cheaper than we can. I know there is some dirty manipulation going on in commodity trading and there are so many people making a profit on the backs of cattle producers and feeders.

We provide the support of taxes and participation to maintain and support our Communities but consumers, even if they want to support us, have no way to know if the USDA labeled meat is from the USA. Our grain is clean when we ship it but it is often discounted for something and then when the exporters get it to the coast, they add junk to it to make it the maximum dockage for export.

We have very high standards and most of us go above and beyond what is required of us. Our useful chemicals are reduced or restricted for use and our costs of production have skyrocketed.

The bottom line is that if the Country is going to tie our hands and allow imports of cheap meat, grain, fruit and vegetables, we will need financial incentives to keep us going. It is a sad fact but it is a fact.

One thing that is very unfortunate is the farm program subsidies that are going to some people who are not actively engaged in farming. That is unfair and ridiculous.

I don't know what can fix the problem but i know that many farmers and ranchers are going to need a lot of help or they will fail and go broke.

In Montana, huge amounts of our land are being bought up by out of state owners who get program payments but are often not a productive part of our communities.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)