AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with assessing crop conditions, please?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/4/2015 08:42 (#4660815 - in reply to #4660490)
Subject: RE: Help with assessing crop conditions, please?

North Central Illinois
Nice work. You may not be far off. Time will tell. I mean no offence but trying to determine crop size at this time of year is almost futile. Be it the USDA or farmers. I remember last year at this time on this board there was all manner of number crunching and charts posted that seemed to all but guarantee a much smaller crop than what we ended up with. Not knocking the guys that did that work because I know they worked hard on it and thought their conclusions were sound. The bottom line is there are far too many variables in the equation at this point to draw too many concise conclusions. Yes, we know there has been significant damage in some pretty big areas but we really won't know how bad for a while yet. Let's get everything pollinated and then wait a couple of weeks. For my own purposes I never try to put real hard numbers on my yield potential until after pollination. Keep in mind too that weather from here moving forward is extremely critical to some areas. There is a lot of shallow rooted corn that will not handle a hot dry August well at all. The other side is that I think the big producing northern areas of Iowa and southern Minnesota are doing really well and probably have a good root system. I also hear rumblings that some of those areas are kind of dry. So again, thanks for your work but not real sure that it will really count for much in the end.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)