AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building Organic Matter in Sandy Southern Soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

peanutman21
Posted 9/22/2014 16:20 (#4087876)
Subject: Building Organic Matter in Sandy Southern Soils

I've read conflicting opinions on how feasible it is to build OM in sandy southern soils. As I understand it (and this is a gross oversimplification) to build OM you need to add back more OM than what is depleted through decomposition. However, some say that in the south this is impossible due to soil type and climatic conditions. They say soil OM can be built but not nearly as significantly in cooler climates. If this is the case, then wouldn't an intense cover cropping system be overkill beyond just planting a basic rye cover for erosion control here in South Carolina?

I'm very intrigued with the systems based approach to improving land and yields at the same time. I've been experimenting with mixed species cover crops, etc and do a good job of crop rotations. However, I'm wondering that if OM can't be increased, then are we wasting our time (and money)? I understand the legume N credits that can be provided with cover crops as well, but IMHO if you're not building OM then you are trading money if that's your only justification of growing them.

Please don't shoot the messenger as I am just trying to learn as much as possible about this stuff. While I am experimenting with multiple cover crops and reduced/no till, a lot of smart people from both sides seem to have differing opinions. I would be interested to hear some of yours as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)