AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The next generation.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

DanofWI
Posted 8/26/2014 11:42 (#4039490)
Subject: The next generation.

I had the pleasure this morning of having breakfast with an elder farmer. A little info to go with is he is a great farmer (imho) Dairy, steers, pigs and owns around 600 acres. He quit with dairy about 12years ago. He has 2 sons 2 daughters his children have all prospered very well none of which are on the farm or have anything to do with the farm. He was talking to me about how he regrets never letting his sons have a say/be involved in more than just the work. He said it's sad to think that he worked so hard to build a great farm all to have a neighbor farm it and maybe some day own it. I know from other conversations with him that if his children are left with the farm it will be sold or rented out. He made an extremely valid statement "if you never let them have a chance to do it while your around to help guide they will most likely be very lost when something happens to you" He also said that some people get upset that their son/daughter who wants to take over the farm always puts up a fight but that fight is good that means they care and have a desire to see it work. You wont know if what they want to do wont work if you don't let them try. I couldn't help but put myself in his shoes and think of the hard work to build a very successful farm all to know that some day it will no longer be in the family. Makes me think of when I am older and how I don't want it to be too late because I was just to stubborn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)