AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The next generation.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

gmoney
Posted 8/27/2014 08:47 (#4041087 - in reply to #4039490)
Subject: RE: The next generation.

SC Wisconsin
That story pretty much sums up my experiences as a child on the farm, and what's probably going to happen to my familiy's farm. I was obsessed with farming from as young as I can remember, but my family discouraged me from pursuing farming because there were "better options" for me out there. This was the late 80's and they were probably right at the time, but lacked the long term vision. So now I spend my days in the corporate world, where ironically enough we spend a lot of time on succession planning and developing people that will be our future managers. I think that's a concept that is pretty much lost on the Ag world. Too many people are focused on maintaining all control of the farm until the day they can't farm anymore, rather than developing the next generation.

I completely get where that farmer you talked to is coming from. It's got to be heartbreaking to know that everything you worked so hard to build up in this world is going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder as soon as you die. No, you can't take it with you - but it would sure be nice to know you built something that's going to be continued as a family legacy.

Edited by gmoney 8/27/2014 08:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)