AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Precision Plant clean sweep row cleaners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 4/28/2014 12:33 (#3841376)
Subject: Precision Plant clean sweep row cleaners

Dayton, IA
Bought a planter with clean sweep system on Martin row cleaners. Seemed like a great system before using it but now after a few days in the field, it looks to me to be a very poor design. I have always had fixed row cleaners before not floating and that seems to me to be the way you would want a row cleaner to work. The bottom of the row cleaner should be fixed in relation to the bottom of the disk openers or seed trench. If I run much pressure at all on the row cleaner, I throw a lot of dirt probably more from the treader wheels then even the fingers. This puts me planting in a valley and also scrapes off the dry surface and my depth guage wheels are then running in moist soil starting the plugging process. If I put enough lift on the row cleaner that it is just flicking the trash out of the way with the fingers and the depth bands are not really in the dirt (the way I have always been taught to run a row cleaner) then any little bump will bounce the row cleaner up off the ground for a little bit so it isn't touching. Having a row cleaner bouncing up and down in front of the planter seems to me like a great way to create more bounce for the row unit. Am I wrong in looking at this? After using this arrangement, I think I need to go back to a fixed row cleaner. Does that make sense?

A.J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)