AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Example of USDA looking at data and not seeing something isn't right here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Magicmatt41
Posted 5/7/2021 21:06 (#8992963)
Subject: Example of USDA looking at data and not seeing something isn't right here

I attached a PDF of USDA's numbers for multiply years of Two county that our operation borders. I keep track of this data just to see how I compared to rest of the Farmers in these counties based on the numbers from USDA. So when they come out in February I look at them and they really have no meaning to me. There is a lot data on the sheet, but really just zone in on the the highlight areas. This is in Wisconsin so I didn't look at Alfalfa acres and Winter Wheat acres in this analysis. Our falls have been very wet over this period so I assume low wheat acres.

If the year 2019 which was heavy PP in my area and it shows that by the total Corn and Soybean acres planted. But the numbers don't make sense when it comes to Corn harvested for silage. We are the dairy state and I don't think cow numbers are dropping, but I really don't know. The animals have to eat and USDA didn't disclose the number of acres of corn harvested for silage in 2017 or 2019, but by doing to the math you can figure them out and they are in Red. In the first county in 2019 they are 15,800 acres lower then 2018 and 11,500 acres lower then 2020 of corn harvested for silage. Yet in 2019 we harvested to most acres for grain during the period of 2017-2020. Prevent Plant usually mean later planting and lower yields and less tons of silages. I would have expected the 1st county to look more like the 2nd county in 2019 where the Corn acres harvested for grain went down and the Corn acres harvested Silage went up to meet the need for feed.

On a side note I actually called in to USDA Sat and questioned the data. They actually went back and looked at data and called me back. but of course it was correct and no mistake were made.

Edited by Magicmatt41 5/7/2021 21:13

Attachments
----------------
Attachments usda.pdf (225KB - 214 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)