AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

45 yr. old farmer battling covid story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 4/28/2021 17:36 (#8977296 - in reply to #8977145)
Subject: RE: 45 yr. old farmer battling covid story

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Illinois Steve - 4/28/2021 14:40

I don’t disagree but what you say doesn’t change anything. Yes, we will all die be it today, tomorrow, or thirty years from now. In the past even knowing that very unavoidable fact, we as a society have always taken precautions and done what we can to treat illness or injury and stop the spread of disease. Why is Covid all of a sudden different? Guys that have been trying to deny and downplay for the last 14 months, now just shrug their shoulders and say “gotta die from something “. What makes Covid different from cancer or heart disease, or even a serious injury? I wholeheartedly agree that we can only take so many practical precautions and that the Grim Reaper will one day catch up with us all. Thanks for a logical and civilized discussion.

Well, why's this different: I suppose it's the way it's been hyped, pretty much from day one. I don't know where the primary source of the hype came from. Was it the government feeding the media, or the media feeding the government? Regardless, it's sure stirred up a whole lot of controversy over an illness 99%+ of the people infected seemingly recover from with few ill effects. You can't really make that claim for heart disease or the most common cancers.

Too, what's the true cost of this virus? I honestly don't know, but I think it goes far beyond the raw mortality figures. I have to wonder if you consider the impact on the economy, the loss of personal freedom by government dictate, the emotional toll, depression and ruin of lives and livelihoods over some dubious sense of containment, well, is it any wonder that people question whether the "juice is worth the squeeze" particularly over a sickness with a relatively low mortality rate compared to cancer or heart disease?

I've tried to stay out of these covid posts because I really don't know and I don't want to offend people that have lost loved ones over this. It just doesn't serve much purpose. I certainly don't want to be like Joe Stalin and say "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic", that's just callous indifference. This whole thing is just a lot more complicated than people at opposite ends of the issue want to admit.

Edited by tkoppel 4/28/2021 17:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)