AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH 800 cyclo unequal seed use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

aintfarminfun
Posted 5/5/2009 18:57 (#703915)
Subject: IH 800 cyclo unequal seed use

IH 800 cyclo 12R30 VF - uncle has always run planter until this year when my cousin and I took over. We started planting soybeans, and by my figures we were planting in the 170K to 175K pop. Uncle claims this is how he's always set it up (based on what our neighbor told him since we didn't get a manual with the planter), but he assures me we're planting 150K. I can guarantee he's never checked it or even thought about how much seed he was using. From the numbers I was able to find, we are set to run about 160K based on the gears.

Driver 1 - 10, Driven 1 - 17, Driver 2 - 10, Driven 2 - 10 (We have 10, 11, 15, 17 available)

I also read a few pages down on here where someone said cyclo pops usually run higher than the chart. So that all makes sense, that we could be running 175K. BUT....when we put 8 bags in each hopper, by the time the right hopper is empty there are still a couple bags left in the left hopper. I did a quick test with a row from each side to count seeds with one rotation of the drive wheel, and they came up about the same, actually the left side was higher, which is opposite of what I would have expected. We didn't check all the rows, as we were trying to keep planting before the rain. What should we be looking at? We were running 5 psi on each side, drums appeared to be full, and rotating at the same speed. Bumped it up to 7 psi just to check, didn't make a difference. This is driving me crazy.

Also noticed on the chart they based it on a wheel diameter of 95" I think, but our wheel diameter measured roughly 86" (we have the same tire size called out on the chart). I would think this is the issue with the chart. I can't see the tire wear would make this much difference.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)