AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

twraska
Posted 4/22/2021 22:57 (#8968065 - in reply to #8967914)
Subject: RE: Shop rates

Wallis, TX
99MAX - 4/22/2021 21:34

Winfal_Farms - 4/22/2021 16:34 Curious as to what guys are charging for a “custom farm shop” rate? I’m no master mechanic but I’m ha day with a wrench and have a pretty decent shop setup. With that said I’ve been getting more jobs of farm related repair for guys. I was just hoping a few guys would chime in on what they charge an hour or how you charge for jobs in the farm shop.

Having run a farm implement store and shop, here is my suggestion.  If you are willing to work at a $20/hr rate job along with benefits, your shop rate should be  2.5 times this, which would come to $50/hr.  If you are willing to work at a job for $30/hr and benefits, your shop rate should be $75/hr.  Remember the shop rate is the time that you are punched in working on that piece of equipment.  So if the job took 10 hours, and your shop rate is $75/hr. the charge for that job should be $750. Remember all your hours will not be productive.  You will be filling out paper work, looking up parts, trying to collect your accounts, and also covering costs, such as shop/building payments, tools, manuals and also paying yourself, for liability insurance and health insurance, along with some extra money for paid vacation and holidays.

Your 2.5 to 1 ratio seems fair, in fact, I’ve heard 3 to 1. However,,,,, lots of dealerships want to send a $12 an hour guy and charge $120,,,,, with him learning as he goes. That is what I’ve got a problem with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)