AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Technology
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 11/19/2006 19:53 (#63451 - in reply to #63429)
Subject: RE: New Technology

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

I am familiar with a start up company that is building a machine to improve efficiencies in soil collection.

Depending on conditions and soil types, it can be very challenging to get a uniform depth core, especially on clay or compacted soils, and our dry sandy soils.  There are some pretty slick auger/drill machines already marketed.  The biggest weakness I see in them is in the collection bucket, as they are are usaually a little weak and brittle, and hard to dump.  

Some run off hydraulics powered by an auxiliary gas engine, others off a 12V drill motor run off the ATV battery.  I am not sure which is best.  I saw a man in Alabama with a Dewalt 18V drill running his, said he liked the extra power he got from the 18 volts, and he must, because he had about six extra batteries in a storage basket. 

Using a conventional probe, I like to pull about three to four samples a trip before emptying buckets to bags, speeding things up a lot when grid sampling.  Another advantage to that system in wet conditions is dirt dries out a little while pulling the next buckets.  I don't see any way to do that with any of the auger/drill sytems out there.

I've seen rusty probes and buckets skew zinc results high, so you have to be careful of material choices. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)