AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which laptop would you buy a high school grad?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/29/2009 14:40 (#697131 - in reply to #696977)
Subject: RE: Which laptop would you buy a high school grad?

West Union, Illinois

It kind of depends on her college plans.  Her college may have certain requirements.  Some may require a computer be purchased through them.  For an example see http://www.rose-hulman.edu/admissions/laptops.htm They do this for various reasons, one of which is software.  It guarantees the student has the specialized software needed and the license is valid.

Even if the school does not require a bundle be purchased, often they have a special promo of some kind that you will have trouble  beating at retail.

Get her the fastest CPU you can afford and a minimum of 3 gig of RAM.  No, make that 4 gig of RAM.  Hard drive size is unimportant.  It will never be big enough but whatever is in it will be adequate.

Whatever you get her, buy the longest life battery available and get a spare power supply.  My computer geek brother told me this when I bought mine and  I wish I had listened.  One PS stays at my desk and the other (yes, I bought another later) stays in the computer bag. I would also suggest a dock of some kind.  I have an external keyboard, wireless mouse, printer, network cable, all connected to my dock.  I set the laptop down, plug in my power and one USB and everything is connected.

I mentioned Rose Hulman's requirement to buy a laptop bundle through the college.  The RHIT freshman class of 2008-2009 laptop model is the HP 8510w Mobile Workstation:

Processor/System RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, T7800 (2.60 GHZ), 4 GB RAM, 2 DIMM, 4 MB L2 Cache, 667 Mhz FSB

Hard Drive 120 GB 7200 SATA HDD
Optical Drive DVD +/- RW SuperMulti Dual Layer Light Scribe
Display 15.4" Wide Screen Display, WUXGA (1920x1200) WVA (Wide Viewing Angle)
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M graphics, 256 MB dedicated memory, 512 MB TurboCashe
Network Interfaces 10/100/1000 Intergrated Intel Gigabit Network, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, Bluetooth
Battery 8 Cell (73WHr) battery
USB 4 USB ports, 1 Firewire port

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/30/2009 01:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)