AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone plant beans with a great plaines no till drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 2/28/2021 18:59 (#8864495 - in reply to #8858679)
Subject: RE: Anyone plant beans with a great plaines no till drill

Bought an old 24' folding no-till gp drill a few years ago, which the dealership couldn't wait for some fool to show up and get that POS contraption off their lot, lol, aka it didn't cost a lot. On an older drill, once you learn the seeding rates, it will be consistent if the seed flutes are in decent shape. Granted, if you replace some or all, then a new learning curve is upon you. Takes some time to get the depth set, with the biggest risk imo you can go too deep. My yield range on beans w/o pushing with lots of inputs is 55-90, so you shouldn't have any yield reduction worries. Yes, it's not as precise as higher dollar options, I drill about 140K bean pops. in 7.5" rows. I'm sure that pop. could be reduced some with better precision w/o limiting yields. Also use it for wheat and cover crops. Nice to be able to switch from planting corn to drilling beans as conditions allow having 2 different units ready to go at the same time. Not the way to go for many, wouldn't even recommend it, but works for me. Can avg. about 15 acres/hr. with covers, a little less with beans in the spring, more like 12.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)