AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Be careful we lost 2 young men in our area last week.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 2/23/2021 09:02 (#8852728 - in reply to #8852538)
Subject: RE: Be careful we lost 2 young men in our area last week.

KY

I'm all about safety, but arc fault breakers won't work for farm use.  If anyone has plugged an angle grinder into an outlet fed from an arc fault breaker you know what I'm talking about.  By nature, they don't like sudden current spikes, which are introduced with almost every use in a farm shop / machinery shed environment.  I have heavy duty contractor cords with gfci's built in on the male end for things like block heaters to hopefully prevent a fire if the heater were to short.  GFCI also "should" keep you from getting electrocuted as well.  Probably going to see a little more "tingle" than with an arc fault circuit, but shouldn't require a trip to the hospital.  I've been hit with 120, 240, 440V @ 400 HZ, and have had arc flash burns on clothing from 480 and 6900V faulting out in front of me, so I'm a little wary of electricity, and GFCI's have worked.  Had one trip instantly when I cut an angle grinder cord nearly in two grinding off bolt heads on auger fingers this past fall.. after cutting two cords I figured out one of the kids' pool noodles split down the middle was a great sickle guard.  Much easier on my belly leaning over it too. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)