AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spray tips?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WilgerIndustries
Posted 2/22/2021 09:02 (#8850613 - in reply to #8845128)
Subject: RE: Spray tips?

Ah gotcha. No aim command.

For full throttle, yup. I thought I recalled it being like 14mph on the 4400 series, and like 12 on the smaller 32/33 series. That is what I meant though, with the speed dial down and throttle full forward.

For the 06 if you have a drift reduction style, for sure. If you are talking an XR series, I'd say best not to. ESPECIALLY if you were talking about using the same nozzle for Gramoxone. Doesn't have to be an air induction nozzle as you'd be spraying Liberty with it as well, but even that first step of drift reduction nozzle in a pre-orifice style makes a big difference compared to an XR.

Theres a lot of guys who have the same habits to hover around 40PSI because of practises back in the day. Nowadays some of the nozzles out there are literally poor performers at like 40PSI and need more than that as a min. pressure, so it would be a good idea to use the full range of a nozzle to be able to use a coarser nozzle at higher pressure.

The way to think about it is like this: (For the %, that is just based on our charts/testing, which would be the same for our ER110-06 and XR110-06)

XR110-06 at 60PSI would have like 24% of your spray being driftable fines. (Small enough to evaporate or move off target easily). Get into like 12MPH wind, and that'd pretty well double to like 48% drift. (which is pretty nasty)
At lower pressure like 40PSI, you'd be in the realm of like 20% driftable fines to start out, so still not ideal.

As far as when I'm talking guys through tip selection, I'll typically try to get guys within <15% for contact herbicide like Liberty, and <10% for systemics like Glyphosate. At least as a baseline it brings guys into the right place.

BUT, where the XR is nice is that it makes a LOT of finer droplets, resulting in coverage (if it can get into the crop/weed). In our charts, we have kind of a '% coverage factor' as well for the % of small droplets.

The XR110-06 is pretty well straight up 95% of the spray coming out of it is small enough to be effective for coverage. Not much of it is too coarse. This is where guys sometimes try to focus in on a lot of the times, tolerating higher levels of drift to get there.

The tough part is, if you are saying 95% of your spray is small for coverage, but 20% of that is 'too small', so only ~75% of your spray is efficiently going down. (Again, theres a bit more to it than that, but as a comparison between nozzles, it helps)

When comparing it to what I'd call a first stage drift reduction nozzle (like our SR110-06, but similar to what you'd see as some entry-level drift reduction nozzles, or some finer AI nozzles):

Using an SR110-06 @ 60PSI for an example:
~12% Driftable fines (down from 24% with XR)
~94% small enough for good coverage (down from 95%)
'Efficient Spray' = 94 - 12 = 82%

Again, math isn't like real world application, but it just gives an idea of what I mean by balancing between drift reduction and coverage.

At the same time, if you were needing to slow down and spray at like 40PSI with the SR110-06 because of drift sensitivity reasons/etc, you'd be dropping down to like 8% driftable fines (compared to 20% with XR), BUT you'd be giving up like 4% in coverage to get there.
All in all, that's a pretty darn good trade-off for when you need it.

As far as a benchmark on where I'd try to keep your coverage (similar to the % driftable fines benchmark of 10% for systemic chem/15% for contact chem):
Try maintain 80%+ <600µ (small droplets) for systemic chemicals. For the really high flow stuff or more drift-sensitive systemics, often the application rates will be like the 15-20GPA+ to compensate for coarser nozzle requirements.
Try maintain 90%+ <600µ (small droplets) for contact chemicals.

Anyways, probably a bit too much info on that case, and hopefully I didn't throw you off by using our chart info (% driftable fines/coverage), but I find it as a good tool to explain the balance between the two pretty well.

For your situation, I'd say there is a pretty good reason to stick with the 110-06 nozzle size at least for your Liberty work. For your Gramoxone, as there is a much coarser application requirement, you'd be either slowing down to spray with the drift reduction -06 (so lower pressure = much coarser nozzle), OR you could use a different coarser 110-06 (or even transition to the 110-08, but I still like the pressure range to slow down with a 110-06)

Lemme know if you had any questions based on my info there. (And sorry if I confused you any more with it. lol)

-Lucas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)