AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedrest 20inch corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

20/20
Posted 2/11/2021 14:22 (#8824669 - in reply to #8824375)
Subject: RE: Sidedrest 20inch corn?

North Central Illinois
We have side dressed corn on 20” using 16”belts. We have trams set at 21.5” which is a wide as our planter would allow. When doing end rows, I would butcher up corn where there were curves. It definitely adds stress to the operator. Going through the field it is much easier but one must stay alert. A cross wind with taller corn can be trying. We use auto steer to plant (No RTK). I find I can manually steer better than auto steer can navigate.

Last year we tested on two separate fields the concept of planting 2 rows at 20” followed by a skip row (40”). I had read guys who were planting 30” twin rows with a 60” skip row. So I thought we would try it using a 20” system. The final harvest yields showed a small yield variance between the straight 20’s vs. the twin row skip.

With that experience, this year we will create trams of 40” on those tractor tire rows and plant all the rows at 20”.

More behind this change.

Our planter tractor has wide AD low pressure tires that will be carrying up to 800 gallons of liquid nitrogen.
Two rows will be driven over. So we have opted to not plant those two rows. At the end of this growing season, we will re-evaluate for the next year.

Hopefully this helps with your decision. Like I said, it can be done but your stress level will be high when side-dressing. Also of note, I post spray at 9-11 mph. Stress level? Add another couple of notches.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)