AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home Camera Systems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/27/2021 20:19 (#8787503 - in reply to #8787199)
Subject: RE: Home Camera Systems

I think just about any wifi camera is going to try to connect to a server somewhere, even the high end cameras that are supposed to rely on your software to handle recording and processing and so on. It just seems really common for the firmware to try and phone home.

There are entire sections of security camera forums devoted to keeping cameras from being able to phone home and keeping people from outside the network from being able to use them.

With that being said, what you want can be done pretty easy as long as you are saying that you will be able to connect to your wifi with your phone.

If you’re saying you want to see activity while you’re in Hawaii, it’s going to have to go through other peoples servers (unless you’re Elon Musk).

So if you just want to connect to the camera while you are within range of your router or wireless access point, the easiest way to make sure the camera can’t connect to the internet is to attach the camera to a wifi network that does not have an internet connection.

You can just buy another router and create another wifi network and then don’t allow that router to be connected to the internet.

Then when you want to see what a certain camera can see you turn the wifi on your phone and you connect to the wifi network that the cameras are on. Then you open up a web browser and type in the IP address of the camera you want to watch and it should show up in your browser.

Some camera systems may come with apps to make this easier, not sure.

Anyway, there are others that know way more than me but I believe what you are asking is possible as long as you are within range of your wifi network that the cameras are connected to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)